While you’ll be using your smile an awful lot to grin, talk with friends, laugh, and enjoy yourself, you might not be quite as focused on your usual ritual when it comes to dental hygiene and protecting your oral health. Of course, this is where we come in! In addition to wishing you a very happy July 4th, we also suggest you take our brief quiz to make sure you enjoy your festivities and keep your teeth and gums safe.
Quiz Questions: True or False?
- True or False: Since you’ll only be celebrating for a single day, there’s nothing wrong with letting loose and skipping just one dental hygiene session on the Fourth. You’ve earned it and your teeth and gums won’t “know.”
- True or False: As long as you avoid super sugary sweets, such as cake and ice cream, you don’t need to worry about sugar affecting your oral health during parties.
- True or False: Unless you’re drinking water, the drinks you choose at a party will likely be acidic (and therefore not very safe for your teeth).
- False. Even though it’s a day for celebration, your smile will most certainly experience the consequences of a change in care. Even if you simply skip one dental hygiene session, you can end up dealing with consequences down the line (like decay or gum disease due to tartar formation and plaque buildup).
- False. Sugar is in more food items than you might imagine. Naturally occurring or added, whether it’s in a piece of a raw apple or a piece of cake, it can still lead to oral health problems. Rinse with water and brush after if you choose to partake.
- True. Most beverages are acidic, if they aren’t water, including coffee, fruit juices, tea, wine, beer, sodas, and more. Sip with caution!
Protect Your Smile With Helpful Suggestions
Remember that brushing, flossing, and coming in for care and suggestions will ensure your smile stays healthy. To learn more, schedule an appointment with your dentist by calling Allen & Neumann Family Dentistry in Pella, IA, today at (641) 628-1121.